Inktober 2024

Digital art that isn't pixel art.
lovesick

Re: Inktober 2024

Post by lovesick »

humanfinny wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:01 pm
spoiler!
Day 2: Skipping a day ahead again today's prompt was oversized prop. I decided to draw Kai, who is the arch nemesis/later friend of the character I posted yesterday and he loves apples. Decided to simplify things a little becuz even tho i loved the emo frame/border it kind of was too much work lol. really focusing on the lines.

to amy and lapin, i don't really have any groundbreaking advice tbh sorry haha but if i had to tell u what i changed to do this more graphic style faster it would include:

1. decide early on where the very thick lines will be. there should be some thickness difference thru out but it shouldn't be too crazy different with some very skinny lines and super thick lines close together. figure it out in the sketch before the line art.

2. if we r really keeping it simple give dimension and shadow with the line art and not actual colors, i think it gives it a cool look. saves time too lol.

3. obviously be mirroring that shit every five seconds LOL

4. this one is a little weird but dont hesitate to fix something even when u r close to being done. maybe its just a me problem but i will be like almost done when i finally see an anatomy or composition problem. still, better adjust it even if its done scrapily and then worked over!

5. and like amy is doing i also use an existing work i like to use as a guide. often just to answer simple questions: how did this artist do the hands? how did they do the folds in the clothes etc? often its much faster to just get the answer from looking than to trial and error your own way. just one piece which you are trying to invoke in ur art usually does the trick!

6. fuck it we ball

tbh im not really good and i dont think these tips are super helpful but if u r looking for some strong lineart it may help haha
oh i love this! this is too cute lol. i really love the thick lines and the black as shadows-truly stylish! :D i really like how you drew his face too. i'm a sucker for ocs and love reading about them, do you have somewhere you post about your ocs? i'm just nosey hehe ;)

thanks so much for taking the time to write all that out, it's useful! i've dabbled with heavier lineart styles but i find that you really need to be confident in your lines to make it look good (which i am not haha!)

i need to use references more often when it comes to clothing, a lot of the time i try to wing it and then it takes me 1000x longer :oops: i also notice mistakes when im nearly done with a piece..but i never try to fix the problem and end up hating the outcome so it ends up feeling like a waste of time lolol. i should definitely do what you do and fix it anyways :)
humanfinny wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:08 pm
spoiler!
lovesick wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 3:05 pm thank you!! <3 that is a huge amount of time cut..i probably should try and simplify some of my process too, im a slow drawer! if you don't mind me asking, what are the shortcuts you learned to take? or is it something you're still ironing out? :yes:
sadly i dont think i have any actual useful info for your more intricate style lol... sorry :cry: :cry: :cry: however when i did more rendered works i would always get lazy and some parts of the painting would turn out weaker than others. in that case i would sometimes try to give it more blockier but distinctive shapes (kind of like in oil paintings or concept art). pretty wide and maybe not super blended parts that still create the illusion of depth but with less detail. like how this character face's by Moby Francke has quite a bit of detail but his fingers do not, like a lighting trick i guess:

but maybe if you prefer to have a painting with the same detail thru out this may not be useful LOL
i ought to try that painting style as a challenge... im used to over-rendering everything but it would be a fun exercise to simplify my style :D
ImageImage
are you feeling lovesick?
lovesick

Post by lovesick »

day 2: easiest oc to draw!

ofc it is my milky. i had some free time in the office yesterday so i did some pixel art! she turned out cute i think, though i did rush the hair shading so i dont love it but overall im pretty satisfied :yes:

ImageImage
are you feeling lovesick?
AngelEyeSprings

Post by AngelEyeSprings »

humanfinny wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:01 pm Image

to amy and lapin, i don't really have any groundbreaking advice tbh sorry haha but if i had to tell u what i changed to do this more graphic style faster it would include:

1. decide early on where the very thick lines will be. there should be some thickness difference thru out but it shouldn't be too crazy different with some very skinny lines and super thick lines close together. figure it out in the sketch before the line art.

2. if we r really keeping it simple give dimension and shadow with the line art and not actual colors, i think it gives it a cool look. saves time too lol.

3. obviously be mirroring that shit every five seconds LOL

4. this one is a little weird but dont hesitate to fix something even when u r close to being done. maybe its just a me problem but i will be like almost done when i finally see an anatomy or composition problem. still, better adjust it even if its done scrapily and then worked over!

5. and like amy is doing i also use an existing work i like to use as a guide. often just to answer simple questions: how did this artist do the hands? how did they do the folds in the clothes etc? often its much faster to just get the answer from looking than to trial and error your own way. just one piece which you are trying to invoke in ur art usually does the trick!

6. fuck it we ball

tbh im not really good and i dont think these tips are super helpful but if u r looking for some strong lineart it may help haha
Wahhhhh, I love the thick lines and the apple! It reminds me of pop art and old posters I remember seeing!! Thank you for the tips!
humanfinny wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:11 pm wahh! those are some excellent works with ink! the detail is pretty af!! you are actually pretty well on your way to a similar style and level i think. you have your own finish tho which is very neat.
i left some tips in my day 2 post but i think they are not that good LOL
Isn't it?! UGH i'm obsessed! And thank you so much! Individuality is so so strong in art. Even if I have a long way to go, I can come to my own "style" at a certain point, yanno? And I loved your tips! I actually might hold up my traditional art to a mirror every now and then lol... sometimes it's hard to decide which lines to make thick, especially with perspective changes :cry: :?
lovesick wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 2:27 pm day 2: easiest oc to draw!

ofc it is my milky. i had some free time in the office yesterday so i did some pixel art! she turned out cute i think, though i did rush the hair shading so i dont love it but overall im pretty satisfied :yes:

"Rushed", it looks like beautiful pixel art to me including the hair! I love Milky! :lol: :D

I'm going to study how muh role model does hair and then maybe try round 3 sometime today yay... the libertarian said she liked my drawing when I scanned it in last time, and I felt like a little kid getting an award or something :uwu: :uwu:
「ふうん、ニンゲンにしてはなかなかやるじゃない。…まなつ。」
「へへっ! ローラもめっちゃトロピカってる!」
「あたりまえでしょ。だって、私人魚だもの」
「もーっと一緒にトロピカってこー!」

ImageImage
humanfinny
global moderator

Post by humanfinny »

lovesick wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 2:24 pm oh i love this! this is too cute lol. i really love the thick lines and the black as shadows-truly stylish! :D i really like how you drew his face too. i'm a sucker for ocs and love reading about them, do you have somewhere you post about your ocs? i'm just nosey hehe ;)

thanks so much for taking the time to write all that out, it's useful! i've dabbled with heavier lineart styles but i find that you really need to be confident in your lines to make it look good (which i am not haha!)

i need to use references more often when it comes to clothing, a lot of the time i try to wing it and then it takes me 1000x longer :oops: i also notice mistakes when im nearly done with a piece..but i never try to fix the problem and end up hating the outcome so it ends up feeling like a waste of time lolol. i should definitely do what you do and fix it anyways :)
thanks much lapin! i too love keeping up with OCs haha! I have some non-indepth profiles on my unvale. i wanna flesh out their personalities and backgrounds a bit more but i'll probably do that on my site sometime. i LOVE your OC pages! they are all so cool and unique, really gives you the feel of a character (like if they actually made their own little sites which is super dope!)

yes! i totally try to wing it often too but realize i actually am doing it all wrong lol! i totally get that because i would also leave mistakes like that and ignore them but it literally made me so sad that i kind of trained myself to change it even if i am feeling lazy, it will take time but if you feel like making it a habit it will get easier in the long-term.
lovesick wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 2:24 pm i ought to try that painting style as a challenge... im used to over-rendering everything but it would be a fun exercise to simplify my style :D
i used to attend oil painting classes and it was all about presenting dimension and light with pretty rough shapes. i would also get the urge to do details straight away and the teacher would scold me lol. but she was right because i got such a better grasp of shape, lineless art etc. i think your art is wonderful and the very rendered look is super beautiful but this more rough style may help you save time and the piece still ends up looking finished anyway.
ImageImageImage
humanfinny
global moderator

Post by humanfinny »

lovesick wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 2:27 pm day 2: easiest oc to draw!

spoiler!
i love her so much!! everything about her is so cute but the way you do pixel art clothes is especially pretty. does not looked rushed at all haha!
ImageImageImage
humanfinny
global moderator

Post by humanfinny »

AngelEyeSprings wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 4:11 pm Wahhhhh, I love the thick lines and the apple! It reminds me of pop art and old posters I remember seeing!! Thank you for the tips!
thank u! i was going for like a poster/comic book cover look haha
AngelEyeSprings wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 4:11 pm Isn't it?! UGH i'm obsessed! And thank you so much! Individuality is so so strong in art. Even if I have a long way to go, I can come to my own "style" at a certain point, yanno? And I loved your tips! I actually might hold up my traditional art to a mirror every now and then lol... sometimes it's hard to decide which lines to make thick, especially with perspective changes :cry: :?
you will totally! and even when you feel like you found your style its gonna keep changing LOL! such is the nature of creativity i guess. i actually often think about this when im feeling down about AI art. like do you know this meme drawing of Sasuke?

this is kind of my bizarre interpretation of the drawing lmao: its pretty poorly drawn from a technical standpoint but it brings me so much joy because i can just feel how much personal passion or interest went into its creation. and the artist, if they kept drawing, likely got better but the joy of creating was probably consistent thru out their life. AI can never have that and you feel that in the slop it makes lol.

about mirroring, my brother actually prefers traditional sketches as well and he usually takes a pic and mirrors it on his phone, he has like a snapshot and his improvement side by side too which he says helps. a mirror is great too, much faster!
ImageImageImage
humanfinny
global moderator

Post by humanfinny »

day 3: much much rougher becuz i was too lazy to go over with better line art :oops: the prompt was fursona. i was never really a furry so i cannot draw animals well lol. i did have a sci-fi anthropomorphic animal phase (like treasure planet haha). so this pic has another OC, Ira. imagine when youre finally a 'cool' drummer but you find your middle school sketchbook lol.

ImageImageImage
AngelEyeSprings

Post by AngelEyeSprings »

I started off drawing in my role model's style, but got distracted and carried away while drawing. So I'm counting this as "Round 2.5" of this whole improvement process. Oops. I don't need to apologize to anyone other than myself lol, but I will really try to stick with studying my mentor next time.

I think that this looks very western, as in you can tell that an American drew it instead of a Japanese person. There's nothing wrong with that, but I also want to match my mentor's style more. I'm not thrilled with the face, but I like the hands. One thing my mentor does is he draws hands very well and even slightly bigger than most. He never hides hands and almost shows off how well he can draw them. I haven't studied hands in detail yet, but I would like to force myself to always have them front and center if needed going forward. I also need to look into thinner pens for hair detail. You can also really tell that this is traditional with the pen markings, but I like that a lot! I like this overall :D

Speaking of art styles, I'm also working on writing a blurb on the differences in art style I've noticed online between Japanese / "eastern" artists and Anglosphere / "western" artists. The compare and contrast with American anime fanart or Japanese cartoon fanart interests me. I don't think I've seen anyone really analyze it in detail other than "Americans are more cartoony on average", so I would like to anyone's thoughts :lol:
humanfinny wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:51 am day 3: much much rougher becuz i was too lazy to go over with better line art :oops: the prompt was fursona. i was never really a furry so i cannot draw animals well lol. i did have a sci-fi anthropomorphic animal phase (like treasure planet haha). so this pic has another OC, Ira. imagine when youre finally a 'cool' drummer but you find your middle school sketchbook lol.

I love the story here and how you drew hands! We also have those moments thinking of middle school lmao.... your OC's have so much life breathed into them! I also am not that great at drawing furry stuff or animals :eek: :cry: :lol:
humanfinny wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:52 am Image

this is kind of my bizarre interpretation of the drawing lmao: its pretty poorly drawn from a technical standpoint but it brings me so much joy because i can just feel how much personal passion or interest went into its creation. and the artist, if they kept drawing, likely got better but the joy of creating was probably consistent thru out their life. AI can never have that and you feel that in the slop it makes lol.

about mirroring, my brother actually prefers traditional sketches as well and he usually takes a pic and mirrors it on his phone, he has like a snapshot and his improvement side by side too which he says helps. a mirror is great too, much faster!
That Sasuke picture made me smile and chuckle irl! I think it's because of how serious he looks lmao :lol: But you are completely right! I love it and you can feel how much the artist likes Naruto! I think it's interesting how we can tell how the artist's intention / feelings through art sometimes... like weird art on DeviantArt that is safe for work but has weird intentions :eek: :? Or like in your example above how the passion really comes through. Individuality, art style, and pattern recognition are all so strong! Another reason why I don't like AI... (My thoughts on AI shart everywhere below...)
I'm trying out the mirror as I'm sketching rn, and it really does help! :wuv:
「ふうん、ニンゲンにしてはなかなかやるじゃない。…まなつ。」
「へへっ! ローラもめっちゃトロピカってる!」
「あたりまえでしょ。だって、私人魚だもの」
「もーっと一緒にトロピカってこー!」

ImageImage
humanfinny
global moderator

Post by humanfinny »

AngelEyeSprings wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:44 pm
spoiler!
I started off drawing in my role model's style, but got distracted and carried away while drawing. So I'm counting this as "Round 2.5" of this whole improvement process. Oops. I don't need to apologize to anyone other than myself lol, but I will really try to stick with studying my mentor next time.

I think that this looks very western, as in you can tell that an American drew it instead of a Japanese person. There's nothing wrong with that, but I also want to match my mentor's style more. I'm not thrilled with the face, but I like the hands. One thing my mentor does is he draws hands very well and even slightly bigger than most. He never hides hands and almost shows off how well he can draw them. I haven't studied hands in detail yet, but I would like to force myself to always have them front and center if needed going forward. I also need to look into thinner pens for hair detail. You can also really tell that this is traditional with the pen markings, but I like that a lot! I like this overall :D
another great job Amy! i love the expression, the eye shape is so good, i love a droopy eye. and as always the hair is amazing, you could just upload hair drawings and it would look great haha! but even better with the character

I used to be a hater of like euromanga/western anime styles but actually came to love them a lot. there is a lot i like about french or italian cartoons/comics that manga or anime doesnt have and vice versa. so the middle ground is honestly a little awkward but also just a fun marriage of the two directions. it is it's own genre haha.

i think your hands turned out great, especially the pointer fingers. it does take confidence to not hide the hands behind the character or out of frame LOL! so thats good progress!
AngelEyeSprings wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:44 pm Speaking of art styles, I'm also working on writing a blurb on the differences in art style I've noticed online between Japanese / "eastern" artists and Anglosphere / "western" artists. The compare and contrast with American anime fanart or Japanese cartoon fanart interests me. I don't think I've seen anyone really analyze it in detail other than "Americans are more cartoony on average", so I would like to anyone's thoughts :lol:
that sounds like an interesting topic. it reminded me off this meme lol:

i grew up in an asian country so while my personal style was more cartoon-y, everyone around me did like to draw in a more traditional manga style. its kind of hard for me to guess why i didnt... i think just because i got into anime late.
AngelEyeSprings wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:44 pm I love the story here and how you drew hands! We also have those moments thinking of middle school lmao.... your OC's have so much life breathed into them! I also am not that great at drawing furry stuff or animals :eek: :cry: :lol:
thank u! i was worried about the hands becuz in my mind they were so wonky but close enough i guess lol! yeah i almost wish i had like a horse girl phase so i could have learnt how to draw animals better lmao...
AngelEyeSprings wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:44 pm That Sasuke picture made me smile and chuckle irl! I think it's because of how serious he looks lmao :lol: But you are completely right! I love it and you can feel how much the artist likes Naruto! I think it's interesting how we can tell how the artist's intention / feelings through art sometimes... like weird art on DeviantArt that is safe for work but has weird intentions :eek: :? Or like in your example above how the passion really comes through. Individuality, art style, and pattern recognition are all so strong! Another reason why I don't like AI... (My thoughts on AI shart everywhere below...)
I'm trying out the mirror as I'm sketching rn, and it really does help! :wuv:
ye fr, he has that stare LOL. i totally agree with u on intent being near visible! its honestly pretty cool. same tbh lol, i felt a bit guilty and like im against progress or smth at first with all the AI stuff but... then everything happened and it became obvious that it had basically no well-intentioned application. let it die already! im glad the mirror trick is working, the human eye is amazing but also deeply flawed lol...
ImageImageImage
humanfinny
global moderator

Post by humanfinny »

im starting to mix the days up but this is for day 5... which was yesterday but lets act like it was today lol. i drew gijinkas before i ever knew that it had a name! so this was fun but super fast. it's very rough, i was just playing with angles a little. i hope the next one will be a bit more clean. its a gijinka of Kai's (apple boy) guitar. he's in a band. they are bad.

ImageImageImage