What drove you guys to make a website?

Casual conversations, general off-topic chat.
levya

Re: What drove you guys to make a website?

Post by levya »

I first got into coding in the early 2000s when making my petpage on neopets, but stopped after neopets added more restrictions that broke my page. after that I made sites on freewebs and other site builders, but I didn't stick with them for too long, and then after that I got into social media and I pretty much forgot about coding.

then a couple years ago I saw a twitter friend post their neocities site and it made me really want to get back into coding! so I initially made my site for nostalgia reasons, but now I want to make it a site that recaptures the feeling of fun and adventure that I used to have surfing the web. I want it to be something that other people are excited to discover and hopefully it will inspire more people to make their own sites~
Image Image Image Image
Vencake

Post by Vencake »

levya wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:17 pm I first got into coding in the early 2000s when making my petpage on neopets, but stopped after neopets added more restrictions that broke my page. after that I made sites on freewebs and other site builders, but I didn't stick with them for too long, and then after that I got into social media and I pretty much forgot about coding.

then a couple years ago I saw a twitter friend post their neocities site and it made me really want to get back into coding! so I initially made my site for nostalgia reasons, but now I want to make it a site that recaptures the feeling of fun and adventure that I used to have surfing the web. I want it to be something that other people are excited to discover and hopefully it will inspire more people to make their own sites~
Omg I started 'cause of Neopets too! I wanted to make my profile page appealing and I was so proud when I could put just an image on it correctly lol.

I remember freewebs too (webs now iirc).
You said you got back into coding a few years ago - did you have to catch up much? Or did you adapt to the advancement of website making? Asking because everything changed and I felt like I had to learn from the ground up again!
ImageImageImage

hat

Post by hat »

I also got into HTML from pet pages. I can't say the pages I made when I was 7 were more than copy pasted work from other pet pages. I have to feel a little forgiving with children stealing because of it... I was never able to figure out how to get images to work so it really put a damper on things!

I remember I made this Aisha frame in MS paint (obviously not a transparent gif) and I tried so so hard to get the text box inside of the image! I never figured it out.
levya

Post by levya »

Vencake wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:30 pm You said you got back into coding a few years ago - did you have to catch up much? Or did you adapt to the advancement of website making? Asking because everything changed and I felt like I had to learn from the ground up again!
I remembered the basics which helped in initially setting up my site, but I definitely had to look up lots of tutorials for more advanced stuff like making stylesheets and using iframes! I still feel like I have a lot more to learn that I never thought about as a kid haha
Image Image Image Image
kupus

Post by kupus »

I first got into HTML because of blogging, when I was around 8-10. I really looked up to my best friends older sister, because she had a super cool looking blog and the blog was actually mildly popular. She kept winning contests with it too. After that I kind of abandoned html and css, with maybe editing my tumblr a bit in high school but nothing too much, frankly I completely forgot how to do anything with it except for change colors on already defined properties lol.

Aaaand then I got into a web design class in uni, and some time around the middle of the semester I remembered neocities existed and I made my site very soon after.
CooperationIsKey

Post by CooperationIsKey »

I've been making websites since I was about 13. I started, like many others, with Neopets, decorating my shop and pet pages and stuff. Then I branched out onto Geocities and had multiple sites there, including several iterations of a personal site. I even had a big personal site I was going to publish at one point but it never made it to the web, but other versions did. Even after Geocities shut down I had a personal site hosted on a couple friends' servers. I shut down my old site when I switched online handles (I wanted a fresh start after using the same username since high school lol) and while I missed having a site, I didn't make a new one until I discovered Neocities, but once I found it I quickly was developing a new personal site, and eventually a few different fan sites as well.

I just really enjoy the creative outlet of websites, it's fun and a neat way to share what you love with the world. :)
Image Image Image Image

(Avatar pixel doll by Osonio!)
NinAcTi0N

Post by NinAcTi0N »

Honestly, I haven't really commented here because life got to me, but it's genuinely fascinating to see how you all came to build your own webspaces! I, weirdly enough, never really touched the coding part of Neopets (probably because I was a very young kid and was mostly focused on the flash games lol), and had no idea it even existed, though I did have some contact with DA and ArtFight's customization, and nowadays I have it with Tumblr too! ★

It's very empowering to be able to stylize things to your heart's content when the box isn't defined ^^ It's up to you to shape the box in any way you want, AND figure out ways to think out of it too! It's nothing short from some funky mad science done on computers!
Funky neons and weird critters, my beloved <3
Slowly building up my lab!

Image Image