Book thread book thread book thread

Casual conversations, general off-topic chat.
mala

Re: Book thread book thread book thread

Post by mala »

Currently I am reading Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine very slowly. It's hard for me to take a break from my other hobbies. I'm over a 1/4 of the way through it and I really am enjoying it.

I struggle to think of favorite genres. I just really like things that capture the dread of being a mentally ill woman.
Image Image
mima

Post by mima »

mala wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:03 am Currently I am reading Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine very slowly. It's hard for me to take a break from my other hobbies. I'm over a 1/4 of the way through it and I really am enjoying it.

I struggle to think of favorite genres. I just really like things that capture the dread of being a mentally ill woman.
I think I'll add that to my read list. I don't usually read romance (with the recent exception of Jane Eyre), but the protag seems pretty cool from the description. Mentally ill females are always a joy to read. No matter how unhinged they are, sometimes I can see myself in them, and that's cathartic to me.
CooperationIsKey wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:00 am I just have a hard time getting myself to sit and read.
That was me for the past two years! I used to be such a bookworm, but before long I suddenly had a lot of difficulty committing to reading something. I would sit down and gobble 100 pages in one sitting, only to abandon it for months on end, even forever. As of late, I've made a concerted effort to start reading just a little bit every day and regain the happiness I used to have.
Vencake

Post by Vencake »

mima wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:06 am Right now I'm reading "The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky.
He's one of my favourite authors of all time! I won't spoil anything, but that's such a good book.
As for myself, I'm reading The Guest Cat. It's very charming so far, but I hope it lifts up soon to something brigher. I'm about halfway and it got pretty sad.
ImageImageImage

mima

Post by mima »

Vencake wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:08 pm He's one of my favourite authors of all time! I won't spoil anything, but that's such a good book.
He's quickly becoming a favourite of mine too! I've read Crime and Punishment and I loved it a lot.
PAINTKILLER

Post by PAINTKILLER »

Last book I finished was a couple weeks ago. Neil Gaiman - The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I love his work sooooo much. Prior to that was the third read of Tom Robbins - Tibetan Peach Pie. Alos love his work soooooo much. Not sure who of the two is my favorite author, but it's definitely one of them.
Image Image
DivergentRays

Post by DivergentRays »

I just finished reading the 4 volume Winterlands series by Barbara Hambly. Sometimes I find a good book or even series and just *devour* it. I read these 4 books in less than 2 weeks.
CooperationIsKey

Post by CooperationIsKey »

I have to go into the wound care clinic three times a week (recovering from surgery) and I'm thinking maybe I should bring my book so I finally start reading it. I end up sitting there bored for a while waiting most mornings so it'd be a great time to get myself to read.

I think I'll put my book in my bag. :)
Image Image Image Image

(Avatar pixel doll by Osonio!)
hat

Post by hat »

I don't know how to read, but I've really been enjoying looking at hot butlers in Black Butler lately. Highly recommend.
CooperationIsKey

Post by CooperationIsKey »

I ACTUALLY FINALLY STARTED MY BOOK TODAY! :D

I'm rather proud of myself. I brought my book to my early-morning medical appointment and actually started reading it. Woo!
Image Image Image Image

(Avatar pixel doll by Osonio!)
mima

Post by mima »

CooperationIsKey wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:22 am I have to go into the wound care clinic three times a week (recovering from surgery) and I'm thinking maybe I should bring my book so I finally start reading it. I end up sitting there bored for a while waiting most mornings so it'd be a great time to get myself to read.

I think I'll put my book in my bag. :)
CooperationIsKey wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:44 am I ACTUALLY FINALLY STARTED MY BOOK TODAY! :D

I'm rather proud of myself. I brought my book to my early-morning medical appointment and actually started reading it. Woo!
It's good to hear you've started your book! How far along are you now? I hope your surgery recovery is going well also.

I've been in a bit of a reading slump as of late - I recently bought an old copy of Pride and Prejudice from a local thrift store, but I haven't made it past the first chapter. I'm not too fussed about it though as I'm engaging in other hobbies in the meantime.
hat wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:12 am I don't know how to read, but I've really been enjoying looking at hot butlers in Black Butler lately. Highly recommend.
is soma still present and hot