Book thread book thread book thread

Casual conversations, general off-topic chat.
mima

Book thread book thread book thread

Post by mima »

Talk about books. What are you reading right now? What genres do you like? Is the current state of YA fiction abysmal??? (yes)

Right now I'm reading "The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I'm not far enough to give any kind of opinion but it's actually pretty funny? I didn't expect to be laughing so much. I like autobiographies the most but I'm slowly getting into 1800s lit. I used to love mystery too and still have a soft spot for YA dystopia, admittedly.
humanfinny

Re: Book thread book thread book thread

Post by humanfinny »

Im almost done with Chomsky's Understanding Power. After that my intellectual era is over, going back to the good stuff (Michael Nava's gay attorney detective series).
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
devon

Post by devon »

I didn't read a book in a good while, but recently I wanted to re-read Murakami's After Dark but I ended up returning it to library to not keep it for too long. Right now I'm planning to re-read The Rat Trilogy incl. Dance, Dance, Dance. Especially Hear the Wind Sing/Pinball 1973 as I honestly prefer his work being more realist and with weird shit around female characters ngl. He can write great settings, seamlessly weave pop-culture references and build the atmosphere but I do wish he tried to write better women for real.
mima

Post by mima »

devon wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:19 am I didn't read a book in a good while, but recently I wanted to re-read Murakami's After Dark but I ended up returning it to library to not keep it for too long. Right now I'm planning to re-read The Rat Trilogy incl. Dance, Dance, Dance. Especially Hear the Wind Sing/Pinball 1973 as I honestly prefer his work being more realist and with weird shit around female characters ngl. He can write great settings, seamlessly weave pop-culture references and build the atmosphere but I do wish he tried to write better women for real.
Some of Murakami's stuff is on my to-read list but I'm aware of how he writes women. I'll have to read for myself.
devon

Post by devon »

mima wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:51 am
devon wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:19 am I didn't read a book in a good while, but recently I wanted to re-read Murakami's After Dark but I ended up returning it to library to not keep it for too long. Right now I'm planning to re-read The Rat Trilogy incl. Dance, Dance, Dance. Especially Hear the Wind Sing/Pinball 1973 as I honestly prefer his work being more realist and with weird shit around female characters ngl. He can write great settings, seamlessly weave pop-culture references and build the atmosphere but I do wish he tried to write better women for real.
Some of Murakami's stuff is on my to-read list but I'm aware of how he writes women. I'll have to read for myself.
It depends on the book but honestly so far most offputting ones were Norwegian Wood (I couldn't finish reading it), South of the Border, West of the Sun and Sputnik Sweetheart (I have love/hate relationship with it, I love the mood and setting but I hate male narrator fetishizing his lesbian friend) so far for me. I didn't read few of his books though but I plan to.
devon

Post by devon »

It depends on the book but honestly so far most offputting ones were Norwegian Wood (I couldn't finish reading it), South of the Border, West of the Sun and Sputnik Sweetheart (I have love/hate relationship with it, I love the mood and setting but I hate male narrator fetishizing his lesbian friend) so far for me. I didn't read few of his books though but I plan to.
devon

Post by devon »

Ame

Post by Ame »

I am not a bookworm so I don't read much, but since a few years ago I started reading more. I am currently reading Cien años de soledad to improve my Spanish skills but I'm getting annoyed by the story's direction ಠ益ಠ so it may take awhile for me to finish it. I am also reading this self help book, Don't Worry: 48 Lessons on Relieving Anxiety from a Zen Buddhist Monk, and I'm loving it, literally 90% of what the book says is exact what I needed right now lol

I dunno about YA fiction, but my favourite genres are children literature, picture books and self help books.
mima

Post by mima »

Ame wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:18 pm I am not a bookworm so I don't read much, but since a few years ago I started reading more. I am currently reading Cien años de soledad to improve my Spanish skills but I'm getting annoyed by the story's direction ಠ益ಠ so it may take awhile for me to finish it. I am also reading this self help book, Don't Worry: 48 Lessons on Relieving Anxiety from a Zen Buddhist Monk, and I'm loving it, literally 90% of what the book says is exact what I needed right now lol

I dunno about YA fiction, but my favourite genres are children literature, picture books and self help books.
Reading books to help with learning a new language is fun but can be a drag having to look up words every two sentences. I command your determination! Self help books are good too, but my problem is that I'll get motivated for 3 days after reading and then forget about it haha. Children's literature is also fun, I'm thinking of rereading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, it was great.
CooperationIsKey

Post by CooperationIsKey »

I have a novel I keep meaning to read but there it sits, on my shelf (or technically in my just-in-case hurricane evacuation bag at the moment, lol).

It's called Boy Robot, by Simon Curtis. The same Simon Curtis who wrote several songs that have been used in like a million AMVs, lol. It sounds neat, I like the premise, I just have a hard time getting myself to sit and read.
Image Image Image Image

(Avatar pixel doll by Osonio!)