sudden nostalgia for the old deviantart

Casual conversations, general off-topic chat.
humanfinny

Re: sudden nostalgia for the old deviantart

Post by humanfinny »

MoonMoth wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:54 am I've used dA around the mid-2010's as largely a place to favourite artwork and upload the rare pieces of art I did create. Even though I didn't really use it for long I really enjoyed its old web charm with the stamps and buttons! It's a shame to see how it has ended up now and I'm hoping artists can find better platforms.
for sure, i know people would advertise artstation as the "professional" alternative, but its kind of like less fun dA? not much more professional at all, imo. and they had their own AI art garbage as well. i think personal sites are the way to go, love looking thru everyones art pages with unqiue layouts, thumbnails, notes, etc. extra points if they are sorted by year.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
MoonMoth

Post by MoonMoth »

humanfinny wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:23 pm for sure, i know people would advertise artstation as the "professional" alternative, but its kind of like less fun dA? not much more professional at all, imo. and they had their own AI art garbage as well. i think personal sites are the way to go, love looking thru everyones art pages with unqiue layouts, thumbnails, notes, etc. extra points if they are sorted by year.
Saaaaaame. There's so much freedom in having your site; getting to dictate how it looks and how you present it. It makes me so happy that this piece of old web culture has been returning over the last couple of years.
humanfinny

Post by humanfinny »

MoonMoth wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:08 am
humanfinny wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:23 pm for sure, i know people would advertise artstation as the "professional" alternative, but its kind of like less fun dA? not much more professional at all, imo. and they had their own AI art garbage as well. i think personal sites are the way to go, love looking thru everyones art pages with unqiue layouts, thumbnails, notes, etc. extra points if they are sorted by year.
Saaaaaame. There's so much freedom in having your site; getting to dictate how it looks and how you present it. It makes me so happy that this piece of old web culture has been returning over the last couple of years.
for real, i need to actually go to my site and update it to what i want finally haha... my hiatus has been, um, a bit long lol.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
MoonMoth

Post by MoonMoth »

humanfinny wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:12 pm
for real, i need to actually go to my site and update it to what i want finally haha... my hiatus has been, um, a bit long lol.
Mooooood. I have so many site update ideas but im so unmotivated to get them done lol
CooperationIsKey

Post by CooperationIsKey »

It's down at the moment due to a security bug being fixed buuuuuuuuut the indie reboot of the old Sheezy art site is back! This time with much better planning and hopefully much better staying power. And it has tons of the cool features (and more) we used to love about DeviantArt. Might wanna check it out when it comes back up!

https://sheezy.art/
Image Image Image Image

(Avatar pixel doll by Osonio!)
humanfinny

Post by humanfinny »

CooperationIsKey wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:19 am It's down at the moment due to a security bug being fixed buuuuuuuuut the indie reboot of the old Sheezy art site is back! This time with much better planning and hopefully much better staying power. And it has tons of the cool features (and more) we used to love about DeviantArt. Might wanna check it out when it comes back up!

https://sheezy.art/
Hey Key! Never heard of this one, thanks for letting me know! Will check in when its up
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Ame

Post by Ame »

I get your point. I've never used DA (I used to and still drawn traditional art so I thought that it wasn't good enough to display on DA because it wasn't digital art) but I had an account and I used to lurker around between 2008~2010 I think, and I loved to see everyone's Ragnarok's fanart (I probably found out about the site this way, searching for Ragnarok fanart and at the time I thought that the name meant devil something LOL).

So recently I accessed and it had horrible dark mode layout but I think that it didn't have AI "art" yet, but I didn't like that they were trying to copy Artstation and transform it into a "professional looking" site. I won't even complain about the AI "art" because I think that it isn't even up to debate if it's right or wrong, it's obvious wrong and I hate it.

Also I remember that once I found a group where everyone designed an monster OC that would attend a fictional high school, it was called Halloween Academy I think, I thought that it was too cool but I was too shy to participate.
humanfinny

Post by humanfinny »

Ame wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:07 pm I get your point. I've never used DA (I used to and still drawn traditional art so I thought that it wasn't good enough to display on DA because it wasn't digital art) but I had an account and I used to lurker around between 2008~2010 I think, and I loved to see everyone's Ragnarok's fanart (I probably found out about the site this way, searching for Ragnarok fanart and at the time I thought that the name meant devil something LOL).

So recently I accessed and it had horrible dark mode layout but I think that it didn't have AI "art" yet, but I didn't like that they were trying to copy Artstation and transform it into a "professional looking" site. I won't even complain about the AI "art" because I think that it isn't even up to debate if it's right or wrong, it's obvious wrong and I hate it.

Also I remember that once I found a group where everyone designed an monster OC that would attend a fictional high school, it was called Halloween Academy I think, I thought that it was too cool but I was too shy to participate.
Yes, what you said about dark mode and copying art station is so true! Like, the old dA interface was not only pleasant but also super inviting to all artists, no matter level or experience. I kind of don't like art station for that reason as well, I mean I don't think it's a bad idea to have a site where you can display professional works but it felt pretty gatekeep-y. Also, art station had its own AI scandal, so how "professional" can they be when they allow AI art to be posted as if its actual art? Ok, rant over, my bad haha!

The Halloween Academy sounds so awesome! Maybe we could host something like that here?
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Vencake

Post by Vencake »

humanfinny wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:06 pm [...]

anyone else use deviantart a lot? especially before 2020s? missing it? are there any other sites you have these kind of feelings about?
I'm still hoping for a DA clone in the future. There's a market for it, just no one that knows has the resources to make it happen! That group sounded awesome btw...I'm a Monster High fan so that really appealed to me lmao
ImageImageImage

humanfinny

Post by humanfinny »

Vencake wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:19 pm
humanfinny wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:06 pm [...]

anyone else use deviantart a lot? especially before 2020s? missing it? are there any other sites you have these kind of feelings about?
I'm still hoping for a DA clone in the future. There's a market for it, just no one that knows has the resources to make it happen! That group sounded awesome btw...I'm a Monster High fan so that really appealed to me lmao
same! theres so many clones, the myspace clone and so on. a DA one would be a dream!
ImageImageImage
ImageImage