Hosting Providers

Need help with HTML, CSS, JS, PHP etc. and don't want to get berated on stack overflow? We're here to help!
pom
Site Admin

Hosting Providers

Post by pom »

This thread is to discuss and share hosting providers. What your experiences with them? Feel free to talk about them and make any suggestions.

Here are a few:
Neocities
Teacake
Leprd
Wordpress
mima

Re: Hosting Providers

Post by mima »

I'm currently using FC2's Web service on their free tier.
They are more or less the same as Neocities. However, FTP is not paywalled. They do add a "watermark" of sorts at the end of all your pages, and apparently advertisements are visible if someone views your site on mobile. Moreover, there is a 5MB file size limit, and there is no "social media" functionality in the same vein as Neocities. It is an alternative worth considering!
hors

Post by hors »

For paid hosting, try to avoid Blueh*st and any of their subsidiaries because it tends to be more expensive than it needs to be. Personal sites should be very cheap if you're not hosting large databases or file sharing. I've enjoyed Teacake.

Stablehost and 000webhost seem pretty good too but I've not used these.
pom
Site Admin

Post by pom »

Also all great suggestions. I've considered moving to Teacake but I'm just too lazy to move off Neocities since my site is too big to download. FC2 has a nice blogging feature too!

I'm really surprised Webs (formally Freewebs) is still around. They are trying to move more towards like a Wix/Squarespace type of thing where you drag and drop elements (tbh kinda cringe)
mala

Post by mala »

I've been using Leprd for PHP with my pixel clique and lolita webring and it's been really nice. I prefer it over teacake because it's free and also teacake doesn't let other sites use your site for iframes. This would be a bonus for most people, but I use iframes to make my leprd site look like it's part of my neocities haha
Image Image
mala

Post by mala »

pom wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:51 am Also all great suggestions. I've considered moving to Teacake but I'm just too lazy to move off Neocities since my site is too big to download. FC2 has a nice blogging feature too!

I'm really surprised Webs (formally Freewebs) is still around. They are trying to move more towards like a Wix/Squarespace type of thing where you drag and drop elements (tbh kinda cringe)
I use cyberduck to download my website!
Image Image
jeji

Post by jeji »

I mostly use Neocities for web hosting. Before I found out that Neocities existed, I went for FC2 (my FC2 site has vanished so I can't really give you the URL :cry: )
Usually I prefer the web hosting sites that let you code, and not something like Wix that only lets you to drag and drop elements to your site.
My website: http://jeji.neocities.org :D
(Must contain knowledge of the Korean language lol)
pom
Site Admin

Post by pom »

mala wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:15 am I've been using Leprd for PHP with my pixel clique and lolita webring and it's been really nice. I prefer it over teacake because it's free and also teacake doesn't let other sites use your site for iframes. This would be a bonus for most people, but I use iframes to make my leprd site look like it's part of my neocities haha
Interesting, I wasn't aware about that about Teacake. My site is full of iframes. I love them so much. Maybe applying to Leprd might be something worth looking into lol. Thank you for the Cyberduck suggestion too. I'll check that out.
jeji wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:06 pm I mostly use Neocities for web hosting. Before I found out that Neocities existed, I went for FC2 (my FC2 site has vanished so I can't really give you the URL :cry: )
Usually I prefer the web hosting sites that let you code, and not something like Wix that only lets you to drag and drop elements to your site.
I agree totally. The drag and drop stuff all looks kinda boring and samey. Its impossible to get it to look how you really want.
mala

Post by mala »

pom wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:48 pm
mala wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:15 am I've been using Leprd for PHP with my pixel clique and lolita webring and it's been really nice. I prefer it over teacake because it's free and also teacake doesn't let other sites use your site for iframes. This would be a bonus for most people, but I use iframes to make my leprd site look like it's part of my neocities haha
Interesting, I wasn't aware about that about Teacake. My site is full of iframes. I love them so much. Maybe applying to Leprd might be something worth looking into lol. Thank you for the Cyberduck suggestion too. I'll check that out.
jeji wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:06 pm I mostly use Neocities for web hosting. Before I found out that Neocities existed, I went for FC2 (my FC2 site has vanished so I can't really give you the URL :cry: )
I agree totally. The drag and drop stuff all looks kinda boring and samey. Its impossible to get it to look how you really want.
You can use iframes on your site! But other sites can't use iframes from your site, so it's good most of the time, it might even be a bonus for most people! The main con of teacake is the relatively low storage and bandwidth. My site eats up bandwidth which is another reason I migrated back to neocities T_T
Image Image
devon

Post by devon »

I don't like neocities due to how broken it is, but still it's the best place to start imo. For past 3 years I went with Dreamhost (both domain registrar, hosting and email) and I'm satisfied with them. Didn't have much issues with them and when I had any problem support was quick to help. Highly reccommended if you're looking for good host/registrar.

I'm pretty much used to owning my own domain at this point and it's good decision to jump onto own domain and proper hosting after a while, esp if you want to host more files, have better statistics or just have solid ftp access and it's fun to have more professional email too.