Glasses wearers

Casual conversations, general off-topic chat.
kupus

Glasses wearers

Post by kupus »

Since I'm going to grab my new glasses tomorrow, I want to talk about glasses lmao

When did you first discover you needed glasses, and did you feel ashamed of it for no reason? Any weird glasses related stories? What's your favorite shape?

I felt super ashamed of having to wear glasses. I never thought badly of kids that wore glasses, nor was I one of the ones to make fun of them, but I felt such SHAME. In 5th grade we had a mandatory physical exam on which I failed the eyesight test, I had to show up to do it again so they could give me a prescription and I never showed up! I squinted my way throughout middle school, and high school, until I admitted to myself that I had a problem. Finally in my last year of high school I got a pair of glasses lol. And when I think about it, in my early grades of elementary school, most of the kids wore glasses, and then corrected their eyesight, so why was I ever embarrassed about it? Idfk :lol:

Now I also began to developed astigmatism :cry:, I hope it doesn't get much worse because I'll start driving soon. Last year was the first time I got glasses that had the astigmatism correction thing and I felt drunk for a whole week until I got used to them.

This is my current pair and probably my favorite so far!
image.png
image.png (36.65 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
celestefem

Re: Glasses wearers

Post by celestefem »

ah, yeah, i got mine in fifth grade, but definitely needed them sooner! i had the weird sense of shame, also; i think because on tv, kids were always made fun of for wearing glasses and i was scared of “being judged” or something. but i had unbelievably bad eyesight, like, i couldn’t read unless i literally put my nose in the book, let alone trying to read the board! and waiting so long probably just made my sight worse…
mima

Post by mima »

I got mine when I was 9 years old. I honestly thought squinting at far-off text and moving closer to try and see it was normal! I think I did have a little bit of shame when I got glasses. The kids at my school did tease me for looking like a nerd for a while. Eventually I got used to it though. I have worn rectangular frames all my life, and I'd like to wear more circular ones in the future. I even found a good frame that I'm in love with! But glasses are not government-subsidised for me anymore and I don't have the money to pay for frames, lensing AND thinning. I may even get laser eye surgery in the future, but I'm not sure if my prescription is too strong for it.
CooperationIsKey

Post by CooperationIsKey »

I originally got glasses in second grade. They got broken almost immediately and were never replaced (I guess our insurance couldn't cover it?) until I found myself struggling to see the overhead projections in high school (yes I'm that old). So I ended up with glasses again and I've worn them ever since. I actually need to get new glasses currently but I had surgery recently and am still recovering from that and it's keeping me from going out so I've had to delay that. Oh well.

I think I want red frames this time. I saw some glittery red plastic frames that I really loved on a like Zenni or one of those sites and I'm hoping I can find something similar. :D
Image Image Image Image

(Avatar pixel doll by Osonio!)
Ame

Post by Ame »

I was 8-10 when I "discovered" that I needed glasses (actually it was the teacher on the school that told my parents that I couldn't see properly the blackboard and I'd always sit on the front row). I wore glasses until I was 13, then I broke my pair by accident and didn't want to wear glasses any more because of ~teenager rebellious phase~. But people used to told me that I looked like a grandma because my glasses kept slipping on my nose and people used to call me a "nerd" which I hated it, because I always hated study (I dunno if people still say "nerd" now days, but no offence to someone who identifies as one, I just hated being labelled by other people).

think of her when I said "grandma glasses"

Fast forward to this year that I finally got the right prescription for my glasses and got a pair in which I can finally see properly see stuff :roll: I had more glasses since I was 19, but none of them seem to work for me so I didn't use them properly.
humanfinny

Post by humanfinny »

I went to the optometrist at about age 10-11 because I had a random ass grain of sand in my eye that was killing me. They took it out and did a test, turns out that unrelated to the grain one of my eyes is incredibly near-sighted. I got two different eyeballs, two different lenses, its a real goofy look.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
NinAcTi0N

Post by NinAcTi0N »

I wore glasses since I was 11, I think. I stood with some myopia on my right eye for a while, and then a few years later, both my eyes had myopia :p

I kind of don't wanna go back to wearing them, since I dislike the reflections and headaches I would get, so I would rather look forward to an eye surgery, somewhere in the future.
Funky neons and weird critters, my beloved <3
Slowly building up my lab!

Image Image
Karin

Post by Karin »

When I was around 4-5-ish my dad pointed out the window and asked if I could see the birdie? I could barely even see the tree 😂 Turned out I'm near-sighted and have worn glasses ever since.
I tried contact lenses but glasses work better for me. I have pretty sensitive eyes + spend a lot of time in front of computers + live in a climate with extreme temperatures. Also, I kinda prefer how I look in glasses.
humanfinny wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:43 am I went to the optometrist at about age 10-11 because I had a random ass grain of sand in my eye that was killing me. They took it out and did a test, turns out that unrelated to the grain one of my eyes is incredibly near-sighted. I got two different eyeballs, two different lenses, its a real goofy look.
My husband has something similar. His right eye has near perfect vision while his left eye is horribly near-sighted. He always chose thick frames to hide that one lens is much thicker than the other.
Image Image