My Two Latest Pieces

Digital art that isn't pixel art.
vulpix

My Two Latest Pieces

Post by vulpix »

I have been drawing on and off lately. I think that joining this forum will motivate me to draw more and step out of my comfort zone. I am pretty proud of my two latest pieces so I would love to show them off ^^

1. Barry Allen: The Flash

I drew this one about a month ago while I was on vacation with my family. I really wanted to try an Oekaki/Flipnote-inspired look and I really love how this came out! I plan on using this art style a lot more in the future, too.

2. Cloud Watching In Smallville

As I said in my introduction, I really love Clark Kent. I recently finished an amazing comic of his and have been watching Superman: The Animated series. This is my very first self-insert/yume piece and I am very proud of it. The backstory behind this drawing is that he took me to Smallville (his hometown in Kansas) so I could meet his family and then we watched the clouds together afterward. As you can see, we aren’t exactly looking at the clouds anymore. ;)

I am looking to grow and improve as an artist so feedback is heavily appreciated. I mostly want to improve my shading (like I want to have a more "painted"(?) look I guess...? Not the hyper-realistic type but the softer type like you see on a lot of Tumblr art if that makes sense) and lighting. I also think my coloring looks a bit boring so different techniques you might think are fitting for my art would be very helpful. Thank you! I hope you enjoy.
Image Image Image
pom
Site Admin

Re: My Two Latest Pieces

Post by pom »

Very cute! Your style definitely has a comic booky aesthetic with the bold colors!
vulpix

Post by vulpix »

pom wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:31 am Very cute! Your style definitely has a comic booky aesthetic with the bold colors!
Thank you!
Image Image Image
humanfinny

Post by humanfinny »

aw, super dope! i especially like the colours in the second piece, sweet and calming
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
vulpix

Post by vulpix »

humanfinny wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:59 am aw, super dope! i especially like the colours in the second piece, sweet and calming
Thank you for your feedback!
Image Image Image
Vencake

Post by Vencake »

Nice, the second one especially looked very tricky to draw. :!:
vulpix wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:23 am I am looking to grow and improve as an artist so feedback is heavily appreciated. I mostly want to improve my shading (like I want to have a more "painted"(?) look I guess...? Not the hyper-realistic type but the softer type like you see on a lot of Tumblr art if that makes sense) and lighting. I also think my coloring looks a bit boring so different techniques you might think are fitting for my art would be very helpful. Thank you! I hope you enjoy.
I know there's a new area for art feedback now but while I'm here: what were the soft styles you were thinking of? There's a couple on the top of my head, like the soft brush colour across the face which is popular atm,or the pencil-y linework and crayon-like colour brushes for others.

For colour and form, Istebrak is awesome at teaching, albeit in a brutally honest way! I know she's not the style you want, but her videos are super useful in teaching basics and getting them hammered in. She's who I watched to get to grips more with colour (i.e the Gerard Way painting and the Consortium fanart on my site).
ImageImageImage

vulpix

Post by vulpix »

Vencake wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:08 pm Nice, the second one especially looked very tricky to draw. :!:
Thank you! It certainly was. It was also my first time drawing a background. :)
Vencake wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:08 pm I know there's a new area for art feedback now but while I'm here: what were the soft styles you were thinking of? There's a couple on the top of my head, like the soft brush colour across the face which is popular atm,or the pencil-y linework and crayon-like colour brushes for others.
I think the crayon-y look is closest to what I am describing. A subtle example I really like is from the art for the Welcome Home ARG. I am mostly drawn to vintage-inspired art styles so that is most likely why.

I also like this random Steven Universe art's shading, too. Seems to be by someone named Axoco? I found it on pinterest...

And finally, I really like the shading on Lapin's cow oc (specifically the page I linked).
Vencake wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:08 pm For colour and form, Istebrak is awesome at teaching, albeit in a brutally honest way! I know she's not the style you want, but her videos are super useful in teaching basics and getting them hammered in. She's who I watched to get to grips more with colour (i.e the Gerard Way painting and the Consortium fanart on my site).
Awesome! I should definitely check her out. Thank you very much.
Image Image Image
pom
Site Admin

Post by pom »

vulpix wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:18 am
Vencake wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:08 pm Nice, the second one especially looked very tricky to draw. :!:
Vencake wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:08 pm I know there's a new area for art feedback now but while I'm here: what were the soft styles you were thinking of? There's a couple on the top of my head, like the soft brush colour across the face which is popular atm,or the pencil-y linework and crayon-like colour brushes for others.
I think the crayon-y look is closest to what I am describing. A subtle example I really like is from the art for the Welcome Home ARG. I am mostly drawn to vintage-inspired art styles so that is most likely why.

I also like this random Steven Universe art's shading, too. Seems to be by someone named Axoco? I found it on pinterest...

And finally, I really like the shading on Lapin's cow oc (specifically the page I linked).
Vencake wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:08 pm For colour and form, Istebrak is awesome at teaching, albeit in a brutally honest way! I know she's not the style you want, but her videos are super useful in teaching basics and getting them hammered in. She's who I watched to get to grips more with colour (i.e the Gerard Way painting and the Consortium fanart on my site).
the Steven Universe drawing looks like its done with a hard round brush with a lower opacity round brush for the shading. It looks like it has a noise filter overlyed on top of the image.
vulpix

Post by vulpix »

pom wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:37 am
vulpix wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:18 am

the Steven Universe drawing looks like its done with a hard round brush with a lower opacity round brush for the shading. It looks like it has a noise filter overlyed on top of the image.
Thank you for letting me know! I will definitely remember this for the future.
Image Image Image