Music Collections

Do you collect virtual pets? old cell phones? sea shells? fortunes? share with the class!
mima

Music Collections

Post by mima »

Do you collect physical music media? Do you like the "warmth" of records, the nostalgia of CDs, and the convenience of cassettes? Or perhaps you're too hipster for all of them and collect eight-tracks, minidiscs and reel-to-reels instead 8-) whatever it is, post em here!

I'm a record collector, but I have cassettes and CDs too. The bulk of my collection was bought last year. It mostly consists of 80's Japanese music, but I have 70's-80's English-language stuff as well. We'll be here all day if I detail all of what I have (you can visit my website to view my whole collection), but for this post I'll give you some highlights.

I've been a fan of Japanese idol Yukiko Okada for nearly three years now. I have most of her studio discography in my possession. This was my wall display last year, with the addition of a Miyoko Yoshimoto single in the bottom right corner :lol: Apologies for the low quality, I should take a better pic soon!

I've also been a huge KISS fan for over a year. I have Paul Stanley's solo album, and a compilation that contains KISS's first three albums.

The "city pop" genre is one I've enjoyed since 2017, and I'm happy to own a few of the "classics". Here's Takako Mamiya's "Love Trip" and Junko Yagami's "Communication".

My most recent purchase was a CD of idol Yoko Oginome's "Verge of Love" album; the Japanese version specifically. Getting it on vinyl is difficult and expensive, so I decided to settle for CD.

And finally, here's what my wall looks like, and a shot of my turntable playing Paul's album!

ImageImage

Wew that was a lot! I wish there was a way to spoiler images :shock:
Last edited by mima on Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CooperationIsKey

Re: Music Collections

Post by CooperationIsKey »

I used to have a pretty cool collection of soundtracks on CD that I really loved, but unfortunately I lost those and the rest of my cd collection in a move years ago now and have never really restarted it. I do hope to eventually though; I had some neat rare Sonic the Hedgehog music cds, the first three Ninja Turtles movies, the bizarrely awesome Hudson Hawk featuring Bruce Willis singing, lol.

Dig your collection! Especially the KISS stuff, that's so cool. I'm jealous of the turntable; I used to have a small record collection too but those were lsot along the way as well.

I feel ya on the image spoilers, lol; maybe there's a plugin the admins can look into for that, I really don't know. 🤔
Image Image Image Image

(Avatar pixel doll by Osonio!)
hat

Post by hat »

yeah i have a couple CDs nbd nbd!!!

i will have to come over to your house and make you flip the records for me every 5 minutes
mima

Post by mima »

CooperationIsKey wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:17 am I used to have a pretty cool collection of soundtracks on CD that I really loved, but unfortunately I lost those and the rest of my cd collection in a move years ago now and have never really restarted it. I do hope to eventually though; I had some neat rare Sonic the Hedgehog music cds, the first three Ninja Turtles movies, the bizarrely awesome Hudson Hawk featuring Bruce Willis singing, lol.

Dig your collection! Especially the KISS stuff, that's so cool. I'm jealous of the turntable; I used to have a small record collection too but those were lsot along the way as well.

I feel ya on the image spoilers, lol; maybe there's a plugin the admins can look into for that, I really don't know. 🤔
That's unfortunate, and seems like you had some good stuff, especially the Sonic CDs! I'll have to check some Sonic soundtracks myself; jazz fusion is definitely up my alley. CDs are insanely cheap now so there's never been a better time to start over!

I'm not aware if phpBB software has a spoiler option at all - hopefully so!
hat wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:23 am yeah i have a couple CDs nbd nbd!!!

i will have to come over to your house and make you flip the records for me every 5 minutes
What classic albums! You're lucky to have an autographed album too. Grassy is just too cute, I won't complain if he makes more appearances in your photos!

My parents have three binders full of CDs and I have one of them in my room right now. The CDs themselves are not worth browsing through, as I discovered, but I'm sure this photo is worth more!

I won't complain having to turn them over, but you'll have to do so at least once :P
hors

Post by hors »

hat wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:23 am yeah i have a couple CDs nbd nbd!!!
Can you weigh your collection please
mima wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:36 am My parents have three binders full of CDs and I have one of them in my room right now. The CDs themselves are not worth browsing through, as I discovered, but I'm sure this photo is worth more!
I like this photo!! Praise Ichigo and her throne!

I mostly only have CDs for things I first heard on 8tracks since I figured they'd be impossible to find otherwise (I was right, and my collection is very small ;_;). I have some video game soundtracks too. But I eventually want a physical copy of everything I have digitally.

mima

Post by mima »

hors wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:36 am I mostly only have CDs for things I first heard on 8tracks since I figured they'd be impossible to find otherwise (I was right, and my collection is very small ;_;). I have some video game soundtracks too. But I eventually want a physical copy of everything I have digitally.
I thought you meant actual 8-track tapes for a second! What a throwback. Great lamb picture too, I'm happy to see you have them with you right now.
humanfinny

Post by humanfinny »

I had a really big (for me lol) collection of 300+ CDs but because my move was so sudden I had to take the minimum with me, so they are with grandma. Ive been slowly growing my present collection and its about 13 full albums and 10 singles. Now I will obnoxiously list them bellow lol.

CD Albums (left to right, favourite to least favourite)

1. Magnolia Electric Co - Fading Trails

My all-time fave musician Jason Molina/Songs:Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co. This one a friend bought me of discogs for my b-day.

2. Sufjan Stevens - The Avalanche

Lots of b-sides that did not make it onto his Illinois album, but they are amazing.

3. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell

Probably Suf's best known, every song is a 10/10.

4. Radical Face - The Branches

Found this for like 2 euros in a thrift store in Finland, could not believe my luck. I saw them live in Berlin too in 2018.

5. Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine

Speaks for itself!!

6. Caesars Palace/The Caesars - Cherry Kicks

I was obsessed with this band and Cherry Kicks is probably their best work (even tho it doesnt have Jerk It Out on it).

7. Caesars Palace/The Caesars - Love For The Streets

This one does have Jerk It Out on it.

8. Caesars Palace/The Caesars - Strawberry Weed

A double feature! I love when instead of 1 CD...2 CD!

9. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication

I knew like every song on this album when I was younger, my dad even took me to a concert of RHCP when I was 12. Kind of fell out of love with them.

10. Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You

I like a couple of songs but mostly got it because it was on sale.

11. Dido - No Angel

Very nostalgic and my mum likes Dido.

12. System of a Down - Mezmerize

It was like 50 cents, and I dont have any against SOAD, I just dont listen to them much.

13. Savage Garden - Savage Garden

I dont know why I have this.

CD Singles (left to right, favourite to least favourite)

1. Caesars Palace/The Caesars - From The Bughouse
2. SUM 41 - In Too Deep
3. Babylon Zoo - Spaceman
4. Britney Spears - Sometimes
5. Natalie Imbruglia - Torn
6. Indochine - J'ai Demande A La Lune
7. Backstreet Boys - Everybody (Backstreet's Back)
8. Kym Mazelle - Young Hearts Run Free
9. Daft Punk - One More Time
10. Aqua - Barbie Girl

And I've gor my Sony Discman ESP2 Groove to listen to them all.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
PAINTKILLER

Post by PAINTKILLER »

I had about 2500 cassette tapes, about 1500 CDs, and about 500 vnyl records (some stray 8track tapes too). But I sold them all off. At the time I didn't regret it, it was all taking over my space and, to some degree, my life. Most of the time I don't miss them. But after reading through this thread, I kinda do a little at the moment.
Image Image
CooperationIsKey

Post by CooperationIsKey »

mima wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:36 am That's unfortunate, and seems like you had some good stuff, especially the Sonic CDs! I'll have to check some Sonic soundtracks myself; jazz fusion is definitely up my alley. CDs are insanely cheap now so there's never been a better time to start over!

I'm not aware if phpBB software has a spoiler option at all - hopefully so!
Yeah, it was nothing fancy I guess but it was stuff that made me happy.

I just looked up the Hudson Hawk soundtrack and people want a lot more for it than I paid back in the day. Woof. Haven't looked up the Ninja Turtles ones yet, or the Sonic ones. Hopefully they're a bit more reasonable!

Digitally I do have a HUGE collection of Sonic the Hedgehog franchise and related music. 72GB of it and counting, 10,555 Files in 523 Folders, lol.
Image Image Image Image

(Avatar pixel doll by Osonio!)
mima

Post by mima »

humanfinny wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:51 am 9. Daft Punk - One More Time
I know it's one of your least favourites but I'm jealous you have this! Discovery is, in my opinion, one of the greatest albums of all time. It's cool you have some CDs of artists you've seen live too! Maybe one day you can somehow get all of your CDs back with you.
PAINTKILLER wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:13 pm I had about 2500 cassette tapes, about 1500 CDs, and about 500 vnyl records (some stray 8track tapes too). But I sold them all off. At the time I didn't regret it, it was all taking over my space and, to some degree, my life. Most of the time I don't miss them. But after reading through this thread, I kinda do a little at the moment.
That was a humongous collection! I understand the tinge of regret, haha! I've had a similar situation before. Tastes and interests change over time, so no big deal!
CooperationIsKey wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:15 pm I just looked up the Hudson Hawk soundtrack and people want a lot more for it than I paid back in the day. Woof. Haven't looked up the Ninja Turtles ones yet, or the Sonic ones. Hopefully they're a bit more reasonable!

Digitally I do have a HUGE collection of Sonic the Hedgehog franchise and related music. 72GB of it and counting, 10,555 Files in 523 Folders, lol.
Welcome to the age of nostalgia mining ;-; it's annoying to encounter scalpers for a lot of childhood stuff, but I hope the demand dies down. That's a lot of Sonic and related music! My entire digital collection is nowhere near as huge, lol.