Trends (Old and New)

Casual conversations, general off-topic chat.
AngelEyeSprings

Trends (Old and New)

Post by AngelEyeSprings »

I was randomly thinking about some old trends that I grew up around in real time. For reference I am an American older-ish Zoomer so a lot of these will be mid/late-2000s to 2010s :) What were some trends you liked or hated? What are some current trends you think will define 2024? Future trends?
  • Duct Tape everywhere, especially wallets and bracelets in school :lol:
  • Bubble Necklaces
  • Chevron pattern stuff everywhere (not my favorite)
  • Feathers in hair
  • Bath and Body Works hand sanitizer everywhere during the H1N1 outbreak :lol:
  • SillyBandz and Webkinz
  • SUPER SKINNY jeans. Like if you wore loose pants you were lame af
  • Leggings and Jeggings
  • Flower crowns, pastel goth, and grunge! :lol: :D
  • EOS and Babylips... also weird Youtube videos with people cutting EOS "balls" open?!
  • Contouring
  • SWAG, YOLO, and "repost this or else" social media posts....
  • Also anti-social media and anti-emoji memes were really common (probably all would be labelled NLOGish today :lol: )
I predict that skinny jeans will be trendy again in a couple years along with all of the weird bohemian-ish styles... I'm not a makeup person, but I hope that liquid lipstick never comes back.... :barf:
「ふうん、ニンゲンにしてはなかなかやるじゃない。…まなつ。」
「へへっ! ローラもめっちゃトロピカってる!」
「あたりまえでしょ。だって、私人魚だもの」
「もーっと一緒にトロピカってこー!」

ImageImage
mima

Re: Trends (Old and New)

Post by mima »

I remember SillyBandz! I used to want them so much! I'm pretty sure my school teachers started confiscating them from kids for no good reason. Loom bands were also super popular. Fidget spinners, slime... interesting times.

I am too young to have been a Neopets victim but my classes loved Club Penguin, Moshi Monsters, Poptropica, Animal Jam and MovieStarPlanet (my personal fave). Trends on Musical.ly (later rebranded as TikTok) also got popular, such as the Mannequin Challenge. Now I remember the existence of the Harlem Shake, which was also really fun!

Those "repost this or else" social media posts omg... they were EVERYWHERE on Google+ communities. I used to be terrified of them for a while but I don't think I ever reposted them... I hope. I think these kinds of posts still live on among Facebook boomers (share for Jesus ignore for Satan).

Well I still own two pairs of skinny jeans so I guess I'm bringing it back! Though I'd never wear a colour other than black. Other colours still seem a bit dated. I think it will be more than a couple of years for them to REALLY come back anyway - most young zoomers and Gen Alphas still vaguely remember the 2010s so they don't really have any wish to bring back those trends just yet. Perhaps 2030 we suddenly start seeing moustaches and galaxy prints make a comeback.

One current trend I find hilarious is looksmaxxing. Taking care of yourself and your appearance is now the cool thing to do. :cry:
jeith

Post by jeith »

i forgot about a few of these trends, i had a colored duct tape wallet in middle school! I also was really into the super skinny jeans, my favorite being my bright red ones :P i also loved webkinz & club penguin, along with a bunch of random advertisement based flash games like nasbiscoworld, spongebob movie 3d flash game, garfield’s spooky scavenger hunt. i remember the chevron pattern was everywhere for a while too; i hadn’t thought about that.

some other trends i remember taking part in during the early 2010s:
  • studded belts & bracelets!
  • lots of bracelets in general
  • straightening hair regularly(i used to straighten & tease my hair every day for years & it’d take so much time!!)
  • chunky skate shoes

i was scene during 2010-2011, and i love looking back on it - i think the scene look & fashion is so cool! i'd never do it again, but i'd love to see it make a comeback :)
CooperationIsKey

Post by CooperationIsKey »

I still like chevron, lol. My bedding is chevron (in yellow, gray, teal, and white) and I love it. XD
Image Image Image Image

(Avatar pixel doll by Osonio!)
Karin

Post by Karin »

jeith wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:04 am some other trends i remember taking part in during the early 2010s:
  • straightening hair regularly(i used to straighten & tease my hair every day for years & it’d take so much time!!)
  • chunky skate shoes
Lol I still do these, except the hair straightening. And I still wear skinny jeans :lol:

Since all trends come and go I hope at some point I'll be trendy again XD
Image Image
humanfinny
global moderator

Post by humanfinny »

oh man oh man! i have some personal historic pics of the early 2010s that i feel are so evocative of the era its crazy...

example 1: a pic of my brother's friends. i don't think it gets anymore 2011 when it comes to boy fashion.

example 2: me and my friends. the bright frames of the sunglasses. the DIY bracelets. the psuedo duckface. beautiful.

my personal fave trends are outrageous amounts of owl print, i had a lot of owl motifs on clothes for some reason. holographic stuff that i sadly never owned, tho now im kinda glad lolol. converse with everything. i wore converse to the school dance (so quirky....). YOLO is especially nostalgic to me because we had a PE teacher who really tried hard to make sure we were having fun while learning and kind of be in with the trends. He took us out for a small hike once when we were learning first aid. On some rocks we see a fallen figure (it was just a humanoid shape made of sacks)! The teacher wrote YOLO guy on him and we had to save him, do CPR, check for broken bones etc. He YOLO'ed too hard, i guess.
ImageImageImage
AngelEyeSprings

Post by AngelEyeSprings »

mima wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:16 am I remember SillyBandz! I used to want them so much! I'm pretty sure my school teachers started confiscating them from kids for no good reason. Loom bands were also super popular. Fidget spinners, slime... interesting times.

I am too young to have been a Neopets victim but my classes loved Club Penguin, Moshi Monsters, Poptropica, Animal Jam and MovieStarPlanet (my personal fave). Trends on Musical.ly (later rebranded as TikTok) also got popular, such as the Mannequin Challenge. Now I remember the existence of the Harlem Shake, which was also really fun!

Those "repost this or else" social media posts omg... they were EVERYWHERE on Google+ communities. I used to be terrified of them for a while but I don't think I ever reposted them... I hope. I think these kinds of posts still live on among Facebook boomers (share for Jesus ignore for Satan).

Well I still own two pairs of skinny jeans so I guess I'm bringing it back! Though I'd never wear a colour other than black. Other colours still seem a bit dated. I think it will be more than a couple of years for them to REALLY come back anyway - most young zoomers and Gen Alphas still vaguely remember the 2010s so they don't really have any wish to bring back those trends just yet. Perhaps 2030 we suddenly start seeing moustaches and galaxy prints make a comeback.

One current trend I find hilarious is looksmaxxing. Taking care of yourself and your appearance is now the cool thing to do. :cry:
OMG yessss SillyBandz!! My teachers also took those away for no reason too :lol: I love(d) slime ASMR and proto-ASMR in general on YouTube... not sure if anyone remembers or watched RRCherryPie, but he was an obsession!

I played and loved Poptropica in school too!! How was MovieStarPlanet and Moshi Monsters and the like? I really liked the cute mascot character for Moshi Monsters :uwu: I saw commercials for those sites alllll the time. I also vaguely remember clips of these Musical.ly trends of kids writing to themselves on music :lol: :eek: And Vine stuff everywhere!

Some girls in class were petrified of those "repost or else" memes... I had some "anti-memes" to protect myself from any harm 8-) I've mentioned this before, but I was soooooo scared of these ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED Youtube videos. Like pre-2010 they were so popular, and I was a dumb kid :cry: I though the illuminati were watching me hahaha...

Does anyone else remember jump scares everywhere!? Along with adult humor animations like Smile.exe and the HotDiggedyDemon My Little Pony videoes? Is it bad that I still find the PONY.MOV series hilarious to this day.... even though it's not for children :eek: :?

I still own lots of skinny jeans and "straight" cut ones that look skinny because of my hips lol... and wear them all the time still! Dude, we are def going to see allll of these 2010s trends come back.... Kids will want to LARP as a Tumblr blogger with the dark grunge pastel goth setup :lol: I have a geometric pattern A-line dress that I'm waiting to wear again :)
jeith wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:04 am i forgot about a few of these trends, i had a colored duct tape wallet in middle school! I also was really into the super skinny jeans, my favorite being my bright red ones :P i also loved webkinz & club penguin, along with a bunch of random advertisement based flash games like nasbiscoworld, spongebob movie 3d flash game, garfield’s spooky scavenger hunt. i remember the chevron pattern was everywhere for a while too; i hadn’t thought about that.

some other trends i remember taking part in during the early 2010s:
  • chunky skate shoes

i was scene during 2010-2011, and i love looking back on it - i think the scene look & fashion is so cool! i'd never do it again, but i'd love to see it make a comeback :)
I'm mentally picturing these square stunned black belts everyone used to wear lol. It will be so weird to see colored skinny jeans come back into fashion in the 2030s!! The chunky skate shoes and CONVERSE everywhere.... especially when kids would draw on Converse :lol: My dumbass also tried literally highlighting my hair with a highlighter at one point in school lmao.

I miss scene so much :( There's a picture of a blue-haired scene girl and thought she was peak-fashion when I was younger... (it looked something like the picture below)... :lol: I still think she looks so cool!!!
CooperationIsKey wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:38 pm I still like chevron, lol. My bedding is chevron (in yellow, gray, teal, and white) and I love it. XD
I support you and your chevron sheets!! Honestly I was mostly sick of seeing everywhere in school lol... I forgot to mention this in the OP, but this isn't supposed to be a negative or generation war thread btw!!
Karin wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:26 pm Lol I still do these, except the hair straightening. And I still wear skinny jeans :lol:

Since all trends come and go I hope at some point I'll be trendy again XD
I bet you look cool af irl!! *creating a mental image with your pfp* And yessss we'll all be trendy again :lol:
humanfinny wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:12 am my personal fave trends are outrageous amounts of owl print, i had a lot of owl motifs on clothes for some reason. holographic stuff that i sadly never owned, tho now im kinda glad lolol. converse with everything. i wore converse to the school dance (so quirky....). YOLO is especially nostalgic to me because we had a PE teacher who really tried hard to make sure we were having fun while learning and kind of be in with the trends. He took us out for a small hike once when we were learning first aid. On some rocks we see a fallen figure (it was just a humanoid shape made of sacks)! The teacher wrote YOLO guy on him and we had to save him, do CPR, check for broken bones etc. He YOLO'ed too hard, i guess.
I LOVE those pictures and omfg that would scare me so much with the YOLO guy :? I'm glad he wasn't a real person!! :o

This is more of a 2016ish trend, but I just remembered MANGO JUUL PODS... Remember when ppl would go crazy for them?! I was in high school at the time, and my principal would bust down bathroom doors because boys would sit in there and vape all day :lol: "Don't poop in the juulroom" :oops: :(
「ふうん、ニンゲンにしてはなかなかやるじゃない。…まなつ。」
「へへっ! ローラもめっちゃトロピカってる!」
「あたりまえでしょ。だって、私人魚だもの」
「もーっと一緒にトロピカってこー!」

ImageImage
mima

Post by mima »

AngelEyeSprings wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:27 pm I played and loved Poptropica in school too!! How was MovieStarPlanet and Moshi Monsters and the like? I really liked the cute mascot character for Moshi Monsters :uwu: I saw commercials for those sites alllll the time. I also vaguely remember clips of these Musical.ly trends of kids writing to themselves on music :lol: :eek: And Vine stuff everywhere!
MovieStarPlanet was something alright :cry: I watched Izzzyzzz's video to jog my memory and I remember why people call it the most unhinged of these types of games. One thing I remember prominently was how everybody was scared of the hacker "anonymous" (not necessarily the 4chan one, she had a specific avatar in the game). There was an option to get a boyfriend in the game and I vaguely remember having one of my own. I don't think we did anything in DMs.... I hope. I have less memories of Moshi Monsters but it was generally a cute game and probably the most popular in my class. I haven't used the others.
AngelEyeSprings wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:27 pm Some girls in class were petrified of those "repost or else" memes... I had some "anti-memes" to protect myself from any harm 8-) I've mentioned this before, but I was soooooo scared of these ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED Youtube videos. Like pre-2010 they were so popular, and I was a dumb kid :cry: I though the illuminati were watching me hahaha...
Ahh the illuminati videos! I looked up a lot of them, as well as some of those videos where they reverse certain songs and lyrics relating to the devil would appear. Some of them were scary to me! I remember in school one of my friends was explaining these theories to us and another friend ended up crying.
AngelEyeSprings wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:27 pm This is more of a 2016ish trend, but I just remembered MANGO JUUL PODS... Remember when ppl would go crazy for them?! I was in high school at the time, and my principal would bust down bathroom doors because boys would sit in there and vape all day :lol: "Don't poop in the juulroom" :oops: :(
Damn that was 2016? Vapes took hold of my school longgg after that. I heard that it's gotten really bad in my high school now.
humanfinny
global moderator

Post by humanfinny »

AngelEyeSprings wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:27 pm I LOVE those pictures and omfg that would scare me so much with the YOLO guy :? I'm glad he wasn't a real person!! :o

This is more of a 2016ish trend, but I just remembered MANGO JUUL PODS... Remember when ppl would go crazy for them?! I was in high school at the time, and my principal would bust down bathroom doors because boys would sit in there and vape all day :lol: "Don't poop in the juulroom" :oops: :(
sadly i was too old (not really but you know how teens are lol) for moshi monsters but i did partake in a lot of Habbo Hotel. Cursed website.

YOLO guy's story is pretty tragic. After we tried to save him he got locked up in a storage for years. Poor guy...

Lol! Vapes were strictly forbidden at our school but one time the "bad boy" of our class whipped one out during a hang out and everyone was shooketh. Lmao high school/middle school bathrooms are a whole ass topic, the amount of not toilet stuff going on there... meetings, gossip, banned goods, just kids straight up weeping etc... :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImageImage
Ame

Post by Ame »

I am a bit late for this thread but here is what I remember:

Billabong (I think that this is a international brand) and Capricho (a female clothing brand and a site and a magazine lol) brands were everywhere, Billabong was mostly for sweatshirts and backpacks and Capricho had an underwear that had "Capricho" written next to the waist area. Literally every girl had this panties in middle school lol (I didn't but I never liked that brand btw) and Billabong I had completely forgotten about this until I saw someone at college with a Billabong backpack.

This very emo all star, I still have mine that I got as a gift in 2007, it's to beaten up to use but I can never throw it away.

This shiny things. I don't remember how it was called and I don't know what is the English name for it so I searched a similar picture. I remember that I had thing like this, it was a butterfly it had a sticker to glue on the pants or it had to be ironed to glue. These things were really popular in pants and shorts back them.

Decorated binder sheets! When I was in the 5th grade all the girls in my class were trading and collecting binder sheets. I still have my collection from back them, intact, I never used them to write or draw anything :lol:

Mp3 and mp4 and mp5 players! I had all of them LOL the mp3 was like this model above but silver, the mp4 was a copy with an ipod and the mp5 looked like a smartphone and it even had touch screen and a pen. Everyone in school had one of these (or an original ipod but these were expensive).

I loved these players, the batteries would last longer than a modern smartphone and they're smaller and easy to carry. After my last player died I searched frantically for a replacement but I couldn't find them any more (that was 2013 and I still can't find something similar, I just stopped listening to music completely when I outside my house :cry: :cry: ).

Low rise jeans, pants, shorts, skirts, everything. I hated them because I thought that they would make my belly pop but I wanted to be stylish and to be fair you couldn't find anything different to buy on the stores :vmad:

Wearing mini denim skirts with leggings, I had two mini skirts that were so short that I wouldn't dare to wear them without leggings lol

Also taking weird close-up pictures where you only showed your nose, lips, chin and a part with your neck and hair. I saw an online friends uploading pictures like these to her social media then I started copying her but I never asked why she did that so I never learned what was the point of taking pictures like this. But I saw other people online doing the same (mainly girls), I always thought that it looked mysterious and cool (I was around 14-15 years old back them).