Sewing/Fabric Crafts

Paintings, drawings, arts, crafts.. if it's not digital, it goes here.
CooperationIsKey

Sewing/Fabric Crafts

Post by CooperationIsKey »

(kinda cross-posted from 32-Bit Cafe, so possibly some of you may have seen more or less this post there, but I figure there are people here who aren't there and vice versa so what the heck!)

From modifying existing clothes to making your own from scratch, anyone have any neat projects to share?

Personally, I’m currently working on a punk-inspired “battle vest” based on the 90s cartoon Mighty Ducks: The Animated Series (I also have a MDTAS website but that's another story lmao).

Most of the patches I've made are glued on with fabric fusion at the moment, and I'm currently going through and sewing them on (both for the looks of the stitches and the extra durability). I don't know if I'm going to stitch the hockey stick and puck or just leave them glued. I don't think the stitches will look good on those ones (I might try to do more hidden stitches on 'em). I also have several actually embroidered patches to go on it as well as the pins and buttons and some charms for some of the character quotes as well.

Very much a work in progress but it's one I'm having a lot of fun with!
Image Image Image Image

(Avatar pixel doll by Osonio!)
mima

Re: Sewing/Fabric Crafts

Post by mima »

I recently made a dress out of a sock for my doll. It's touted as a no-sew option for dolls, but some sewing was required due to her proportions! I have bought some higher quality fabric for her since, and I need to figure out how to sew velcro as a fastener. I'm sure I'll be a power house one day.
humanfinny
global moderator

Post by humanfinny »

That battle vest rox! I'd love to see the dres mima, I used to make lots with my mum, it was super fun and I wish I kept them safer... My last craft was also made of a sock actually. This abomination is made of two socks and two buttons and is so ugly but I love him:
spoiler!
ImageImageImage
CooperationIsKey

mima wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:46 am I recently made a dress out of a sock for my doll. It's touted as a no-sew option for dolls, but some sewing was required due to her proportions! I have bought some higher quality fabric for her since, and I need to figure out how to sew velcro as a fastener. I'm sure I'll be a power house one day.
Aw that sounds so cool! I'd love to see it if you have a photo handy. :)

humanfinny wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:25 am That battle vest rox! I'd love to see the dres mima, I used to make lots with my mum, it was super fun and I wish I kept them safer... My last craft was also made of a sock actually. This abomination is made of two socks and two buttons and is so ugly but I love him:
spoiler!
Thank you! I'm very pleased with how it's coming along. :D And omg that 'abomination' is freaking adorable lmao. I love him.
Image Image Image Image

mima

Post by mima »

Yes your "abomination" is cute in an ugly way, you know! I love it.

Here she is. Pretty simple and amateurish since she's so small but I guess it's fine for a first try:
spoiler!
AngelEyeSprings

Post by AngelEyeSprings »

CooperationIsKey wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:34 am [snip]
Most of the patches I've made are glued on with fabric fusion at the moment, and I'm currently going through and sewing them on (both for the looks of the stitches and the extra durability). I don't know if I'm going to stitch the hockey stick and puck or just leave them glued. I don't think the stitches will look good on those ones (I might try to do more hidden stitches on 'em). I also have several actually embroidered patches to go on it as well as the pins and buttons and some charms for some of the character quotes as well.

Very much a work in progress but it's one I'm having a lot of fun with!
Would be very interested in seeing updates, especially for the charms and pins! This will a great "battle jacket" when finished! I would love to see this with a MDTAS-themed fit / coord!
mima wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:29 pm Yes your "abomination" is cute in an ugly way, you know! I love it.

Here she is. Pretty simple and amateurish since she's so small but I guess it's fine for a first try:
spoiler!
Mima this looks awesome!!! She looks so chic, and I love the little sock dress on her! I wish I could make her a little necklace too!! :wuv:
「ふうん、ニンゲンにしてはなかなかやるじゃない。…まなつ。」
「へへっ! ローラもめっちゃトロピカってる!」
「あたりまえでしょ。だって、私人魚だもの」
「もーっと一緒にトロピカってこー!」

ImageImage
CooperationIsKey

mima wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:29 pm Yes your "abomination" is cute in an ugly way, you know! I love it.

spoiler!
Oh she's adorable! I love the dress! What a cutie. :D

AngelEyeSprings wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:35 pm Would be very interested in seeing updates, especially for the charms and pins! This will a great "battle jacket" when finished! I would love to see this with a MDTAS-themed fit / coord!
I'll post updates for sure, yeah! Thank you. :D And yeah, I'm kinda hoping to do a whole outfit. I've got a Mighty Ducks (as in the hockey team) hat that's awesome but the colors don't match super well, buuuuut I've been eyeing this scruffed up teal cap to customize and wear with it. :wuv:
Image Image Image Image

CooperationIsKey

Eeeeeeeeeeee! I'm so stoked about this fabric I found at Joann!

My vest, as you can see in the first post, has lots of rips in it, right? So, since the characters from the show are aliens that get to earth through a wormhole, I'm putting this amazing galaxy print fabric behind the rips. Little funky windows into space! :D I was inspired by these cute overalls I have that do a similar effect with rainbow fabric!

Image Image Image Image

humanfinny
global moderator

Post by humanfinny »

spoiler!
ugly-cute my beloved lol! both the doll and the dress are too cute! what a designer gal :wuv: :wuv: :wuv:
ImageImageImage
hors

Post by hors »

humanfinny wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:25 am That battle vest rox! I'd love to see the dres mima, I used to make lots with my mum, it was super fun and I wish I kept them safer... My last craft was also made of a sock actually. This abomination is made of two socks and two buttons and is so ugly but I love him:
He is so cute and charming! Sock crafts are great. Is he a radish? A leek?